According to him, the success of the government’s efforts at diversifying the structure of the Ghanaian economy from an import-based one to a value-added exporting one is what will, in the long term, help strengthen the economy.
But the civil society group said the conviction that under the new property rate regime, only 30% of property rates collected by the service provider through the common platform will be remitted to the Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies (MMDAs) whiles the remaining 70% is shared among the Ghana Revenue Authority, the Ministry of Finance and the service provider.
It said the “new property rate regime the government is seeking to introduce is illegal and counterproductive as it portends grave danger for the finances of local assemblies and local level development.”
In a statement issued by the Executive Director, Stephen Kwabena Attuh, it said “it is unacceptable for the government to disregard the law and award a contract that constitutes a usurpation of the powers of MMDAs in the name of property rate collections.”
It urged the government to halt the unlawful and counterproductive initiative and also called on Parliament to exercise its oversight responsibility over the Executive on this matter by ensuring strict compliance with the laws of the country by the go